Brainyviolet

221B Tardis St

Artist, reader, zombie/sci-fi/fantasy lover.

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Robin Sloan

Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany - Bill Buford I wanted to like this book but eventually I had to stop wasting time on it and move on. The threads of the narrative were not woven together in any way that made sense. There was a lot of skipping around during the timeframe of the novel with no explanation for the sequence of things. The author is working at Babbo in NYC, then in Italy, then maybe a second stint at the restaurant? And perhaps a second or third trip to Italy? Culinary history is mixed in and while interesting didn't fit well. Honestly I think the author had three books here that he crammed into one, and rather sloppily in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, the information was interesting if you like culinary information, it just needed to be more clear and more concise.